Centralising Control to Save Energy and Improve Wellbeing
Building automation is the automatic centralised control of a building’s heating, ventilation and air conditioning, lighting and other systems through a building management system or building automation system (BAS). Wikipedia
Problems & SolutionsFor building owners operations represent over 70% of the total cost of a building over its lifespan. By 2025, buildings will be the #1 consumer of energy. Up to 50% of energy and water in buildings is wasted. If we could focus on increasing building efficiency we would see a different picture:
- Energy usage reduced by up to 40%
- Maintenance costs down by 10-30%
- Employee productivity increased by up to 18%
Go-IoT BACnet Sensor to Cloud – Cloud to Actuator
Industry ChallengesThe slow evolution of building automation systems without standardisation has led to challenges. Today multiple incompatible communication protocols are used for Building Automation, including Modbus, M-Bus, LoRaWAN, Thread, BACnet etc. Configuration is therefore costly and time-consuming. Furthermore communicating data from the sensor and actuator to the Cloud has security risks and lacks standardisation.
- Multiple gateways to map different communication protocols back and forth.
- Proprietary solutions, locking customers in with the solution vendor.
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) to solve cloud security.
- In-building protocol differs from cloud-protocol, resulting in long-winded complex configuration work.
- Cloud communication only subsets in-building BACnet communication. An example is MQTT.
- Non-BACnet protocols gatewayed to BACnet in one device by software. After that all devices are seen as BACnet-devices. Any vendor that supports BACnet, is also 100% supported by the solution.
- Open non-proprietary communication from sensor/actuator to/from Cloud by the widely accepted BACnet plus BACnet/WS standard.
- Automated configuration using templates and sensor-criteria. Saves time consuming configuration, cost and maintenance.
- Using BACnet/WS for Cloud communication is secure and homogenous with the in-building BACnet communication.
- Strong Cloud security with encryption and OAuth 2.0 authentication, equivalent or better than VPN.
- Scalable from few sensors/actuators in-building to thousands by the Edge Server, using small footprint hardware and database to powerful multi-core servers running world leader IBM Informix IoT database.
- BACnet/WS enables moving software components from the Cloud to Edge Server and vice versa.
- Widely used, in-building, BACnet enabled software systems as SCADA, Energy Management, etc. can be installed in the Cloud. Auto-configured Shadow-BACnet-Objects in BACnet-Cloud, that shadow, appear as real-time physical BACnet-Objects imitating the ones in the buildings.
- BACnet-Cloud is one huge virtual BACnet-network representing all its connected BACnet Buildings.
This cloud-enables software development/configuration like SCADA, Node-Red, etc.
- IBM Informix time-series enable large, fast, but small footprint BACnet trend-log objects. Derivative trend-logs calculated from other trend-logs are easy to configure.
Software (Go-IoT Cloud):
The Go-IoT DINGO Multi-Protocol Multi-Interface Building Controller / Gateway provides the ultimate backwards compatibility, future-proof flexibility and highest density in the Industry today. Click here for more on the range.
The Go-IoT WISKA Multi-Protocol Multi-Interface sensor family support Temperature and Humidity as standard with options for CO2, Light, Movement, Sound, AQI/VOC and more. . Click here for the latest on the range.